Updated in Sep 5th, 2016
“How can I restore from one iCloud backup I created? I have one iPhone 6 with iOS 9.3.5. And I want to get some data from the backup I created before.”
We all know that, with Apple iCloud, we can back up messages, contacts, pictures and some other types of data on our iOS devices so that we can get back them when some accidents happen and data lose on our iPhone/iPad. However, when starting our first restoring, we often meet some problems.
In this post, we share the basic tip about how to restore from an iCloud backup on iOS 9/iOS 9.3.5 or iOS 10). Additionally, we offer some tips you should know before restoring from iCloud backup and offer you some alternative method. Now let’s check all of these!
Part 1. Before restoring iOS 9, iOS 10 devices from iCloud
- You have an iCloud backup and the data you want to get back is in the backup. In this case, you can use one iCloud backup extractor to free preview what’s in your backup,
- The iOS version of your device should be newer than that of your iCloud backup, or you can’t restore your device and have to update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to the latest version.
- Some types of data couldn’t be recovered if your plan to use a backup of another kind of device to restore. For example, restore iPhone from one iPad backup. File types: photos, messages and attachments, voice memos, some un-compatible apps.
- Make sure that the Wi-Fi connection is stable and device is connected to a power.
Part 2. How to Restore from iCloud Backup on iOS 9 or iOS 10 device
We need an restoring sometime when losing all data on an iPhone 6/6s or deleting some important info on iPad by mistake. Now follow the steps below to restore you iOS 9 device from iCloud backup.
Note: restoring will erase all data on your device!
- Step 1. Go to Setting > General > Reset, tap “Erasing all content and settings”.
- Step 2. Set up your iOS 9 device by restoring from iCloud backup.
- Step 3, Sign in to iCloud > “Choose Backup” to restore your device in iOS 9.
Part 3. Extract Data from iCloud Backup without Erasing
There are many iOS recovery tools you can use to extract iCloud backup. For example, PhoneRescue is able to extract 20+ types of files on iCloud backup to your computer, no matter Mac/MacBook or Windows computer.